We were a military family, moving every 3 years. We lived in San Antonio, North Carolina, Alaska, California, and then back to Texas. As children, my kids have lived on Air Force Bases, in the suburbs, and on a ranch. We didn't use standardized testing or break life down into subjects. Our sole focus was to honor their strengths and help them work through any weaknesses they perceived. We worked hard to expose them to all sorts of opportunities - some they didn't really "click" with, some they tried for a while, and some affected their lives forever.
My 3 Grown Unschoolers:
In a nutshell, here are a few things my kids have done, were involved with, or hope to do.
- Involved with lots of Community service as a teen
- Earned the Eagle Scout Award
- Traveled to Japan as an Exchange Student at 16
- Prior work/employers: TxState Radio DJ, campus newspaper reporter, lifeguard, Target cashier
- Graduated from Texas State University, Magna Cum Laude Major: Journalism; Minor: Anthropology.
- Hobbies: Scuba diving, traveling, writing, talking to people
- His Blog: In the Nica Time
- Currently works for the Peace Corps in Nicaragua
- His interest is International Development
- Started in Community Theatre at age 10
- Has done commercial work and the independent film, Boneboys
- Completed 3 semesters of community college
- Prior jobs/employers: Cinemark, Barnes & Noble, Applebees, Dance instructor
- As a teen, she liked writing fan fiction and performing
- Hobbies now: writing, singing, dance classes, Zumba, watching movies
- Studied 1 year with the New York Film Academy (NYFA) in NYC
- About to begin her 2nd year with NYFA in Los Angeles at Universal Studios and will receive an Associate Degree in Fine Arts
- Has a Facebook Fan Page: Kaitlin Jean Patterson
- Her goal is to be able to make a living in the acting industry.
- Worked as an Intern at an Organic Makeup store in Austin
- Went to public high school briefly (sophomore & 1/2 of Junior year), making all A's & B's
- Competitive cheerleader for 1 year
- High School Dance Team for 1+ year
- Completed a 10 month Vidal Sassoon Cosmetology program
- Has her Cosmetology license, plus a variety of additional certifications
- Currently works at an upscale salon in Austin
- Has a Siberian Husky named Gracie & a Border Collie named Hank
- Hobbies: Anything about Animals, Pinterest, fishing, hair & make-up, dance
- Is planning her wedding in April 2013
- Her goal is to become a more accomplished Hair stylist and Make-up artist